少年成長

跳至

首頁

尾頁

洋房

積分: 70

發表於 04-5-7 23:47 |顯示全部帖子

Any parents talk to your baby in two languages?

I heard that babies will get confused if they are taught in two languages at the same time.

My son is a little bit over 8 months old now. My first language is Cantonese while his Daddy's is English. I am with my son most of the time and speak with him in Cantonese, because I don't want him to learn my bad spoken English. But his father can only talk to him in English.

So I am worried that my son is going to get confused and delay his language development. Any parents have the same problem? Is it really not good to learn both at the same time?

子爵府

積分: 12439

畀面勳章

發表於 04-5-7 23:56 |顯示全部帖子

Re: Any parents talk to your baby in two languages?

My case same as you, my baby just four months old and my husband also English (only speak English) too.

I decide to speak Cantonese to baby daughter as my parents only speak Cantonese only, she mush know Cantonese. I think baby can pick up very easily don't worry too much.
Kirsten born at 31/12/2003 N/B Weight = 3.33 kg One Month = 4.6 kg Two Month = 5.37 kg Three Month = 6.11 kg Four Month = 7.3 kg (70cm long) Five Month = 8.11kg Six Month = 9.37kg (72cm long) 7.5Month = 10.9kg (24 lbs) 8 Months = 11.1 kg (24.4 lbs) 9.5 Months = 11.5kg (25.3 lbs) 10.5 Months = 11.8kg (26 lbs) 12 Months = 11.4 (25 lbs) 16.5 Months = 30 lbs 20 Months = 16kg (35.2 lbs)

大宅

積分: 1429

發表於 04-5-8 01:47 |顯示全部帖子

Hi,

I dont think baby will get confuse if parents speak two different languages. I talk to my 13 months old baby girl in Cantonese (my first language). Her daddy talk to her in English (also his first language) and I am not allow her daddy talk to her with his poor Cantonese skill.

Also, I have met a family with 2 kids, mother is Chinese and daddy is Canadian. The mom told me that dont worry about if they will get confuse or not as they can learn and absorb anything no matter good or bad while they are young. I can also hear that very clear, her kids speak in Cantonese to her and speak english to their daddy with no problem at all!!

大宅

積分: 4412

發表於 04-5-8 18:49 |顯示全部帖子

Hi all,

From our experience, it boils down to the individual kid. Quoting from speech therapists, if the kid can take different languages, 2 or 3 languages will be okay to start with. If the kid cannot take it, even 2 will be too many causing speech delay.

Of course no one knows whether the child can take it until afterwards. We speak to our girl in 3 languages, me: Cantonese, husband: Spanish, maid: English. Our kid picks up Cantonese most because I spent most time teaching her. After noticing she was late in talking, we have seen many different professionals and we had no choice but to switch to just English at home. Ironically, nobody's mother tongue is English.

The odd thing is that before we noticing our girl's speech delay, everybody we met said it's fine to speak to her in various languages. All the children of our mixed-parents-friends did not encounter any problems. They could switch to different languages as fluently as they wish. Yet after we notice her delay, everybody said we should focus on only 1 language. We wish we had heard these comments much earlier.

洋房

發表於 04-5-8 23:55 |顯示全部帖子

Hi, thank you for your response. May I ask how old is your girl now?

洋房

發表於 04-5-9 00:01 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Elly,

Thank you for your response too. I can tell that your baby is very cute. How did you start teaching her self-feeding? And how old when she was when you started? I find it very difficulty to teach my baby even how to drink.

Thanks again.

洋房

發表於 04-5-9 00:08 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Kirsten,

My husband can only speak English too. I worry if my baby is going to learn Cantonese first, he is going to have trouble communicating with his Daddy, since I am the one who talk to him most of the time now. Do you ever think of this?

大宅

積分: 1429

發表於 04-5-9 03:06 |顯示全部帖子

Hi dcz,

I started to let her feed herself by hands when she was around 8 months old. At that time I had to cook something that she can easy to pick up like macaroni, soft and small chicken pieces, soft veggies etc. She did very well but also make it really mess. If that is congee or soup then I will let her hold on to the spoon and play with it. Then I can feed her with another one but most of the time she like to eat by herself.

When she was around 1 year old, she started to use spoon and fork to pick up the foods. Of course its still not very good yet but I can say she using fork is much better than using spoon.

P.S. Where do you live in Tai Po? I live in Forest Hill (Tai Po) before I came to Canada but my family are still there and I will also stay there when I come back to HK later, may be we can meet in Tai Po!

複式洋房

積分: 112

發表於 04-5-11 06:53 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Elly ,
How are u doing lately?

My 3year old is also a bilingal kid.I speak to him in cantonese when my husband(canadian) is not around. He understands both languages.I started to speak cantonese when he was a baby. And now I am trying to teach him chinese poem and he can recite one now. I think i will put him in chinese class too.

大宅

積分: 2724

發表於 04-5-11 13:30 |顯示全部帖子

My own experience:

I used to speak to my son in English and Chinese since he was born (mainly English) until he was around 2 years old. He was ok in terms of following instruction and understand well both but then he refuse to talk.

After he start attending nursay at 2 years old both supervisor and teacher of the school suggested me to talk to him only in one language because their experience is older baby may confuse with both language when they want to express their feeling orally e.g. then don't know they should say apple or "ping gor" consequently they choose not to talk.

Since then I talk to him only in Cantonese until recently I've noticed that this is the right time for me to talk to him in English again because he is happy to express himself both in English in Cantonese and would not hesitate to speak any more.

已代刪除

民房

積分: 181

發表於 04-5-11 13:59 |顯示全部帖子

My dahguter is 2y 6months now and I am speak by Japanese and My husband speak by mix(cantonese(fluent),english,Japanese(poor)) and helper speak by english in my home.

Since my daughter was baby she could not start speak anything and I was very worry about it.
However after 2 years old she suddenly start speak by Japanese.

And now she is bilingle which speak Japanese and English.
If I use by english to her, she ask me to no use english.
However,when she talk with my helper she only use english....It is very interesting and I just trust my daughter now whatever she want.

I really understand your feeling since I was same feeling.
Now I am start worry about she can not speak cantonese.... but I guess she can speak in the future because she live in Hong Kong.

I just recommend one thing that it better 1 person speak 1 language so that baby might not be confuse.

洋房

發表於 04-5-12 15:14 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Tianchan,

Thank you very much for your response. That's what I am trying to do too. I speak to him in Cantonese only while my husband in English. The only thing I still worry is that his is going to pick up Cantonese faster than his English. Then his Daddy won't be able to communicate with him. :-P

I guess the reason that your daughter picks up Japanese and English first is that, because you and your helper spend most of time with her, while your husband is busy with work.

大宅

積分: 4412

發表於 04-5-12 15:20 |顯示全部帖子

Hi CarChu,

We have also switched to one language for our girl.

May I ask you how old is your son now? I just want to know as a reference to see when we can speak other languages to our girl. Of course I know that every kid is different.

Thanks.

洋房

發表於 04-5-12 15:22 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Carchu,

Thank you very much for telling me your experience. So how long is the period between he got confused and then not? He is happy to say both. Is it because that he has more vocabulary in both now?

大宅

積分: 2724

發表於 04-5-12 22:19 |顯示全部帖子

justjust and dcz

My son is now 2 years and 9 months old. I think he was confused by both (actually he refuse to talk but ok in terms of understand) quite early just that I didn't noticed until the supervisor and teacher of his nursury told me when he was 2.

The reasons why I starting speaking to him in English because I have noticed that he doesn't refuse to talk (copy from teacher and schoolmate at school) and he is fine with new words that I taught him (both in English and Chinese.

My feeling is that he will have lots and lots of chances to learn and practice his Cantonese since he is living in a place that most people communicate in Cantonese and if I don't start giving him an opportunity to hear and to talk in English, it could be difficult and too late for him to learn when he gets older.

He is totally ok to following instruction in English he still prefers to express his feeling in Cantonese (I think mainly because I have stopped talking to him in English in complete senstence and for most of the time he speak Cantonese with his schoolmate at the nursary) but willing to start copy words to express him in English in a simple way such as Mitchell painful etc. (without a "is"....that's what I really want him to get used to and familiar with)

Whenever he told me something or need my response I am now responding to him in English, mostly in complete sentence so that it will be easier for him to get the basic structure such as "please put the red cushion ON the sofa" oh! Thomas is IN the cabinet plus a little bit of body expression so that it is easier to him to understand (no matter in English or Chinese).

I am not sure whether or not my method is correct at least I don't see any negative outcome from him yet and indeed he is quite ok

Happy motherhood

:-P :-P :-P :-P .
已代刪除

洋房

發表於 04-5-20 23:26 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Carchu,

Thank you for your reply. How is your son doing lately?

大宅

積分: 4694

發表於 04-5-21 12:16 |顯示全部帖子

I've heard that it's ok to talk to BB in various langauges. They can understand differenet languages by instinct, but this instinct will be lost when we grow up. That's why children learn languages much better and quickly than adults. However, one person one language only. eg. mother says Chinese, father says English and grandparents says 鄉下話. If mother says Chinese and English, BB will be confused as s/he doesn't know which language should be used. Of course, it's recommendated that not to use too many languages in one family. Besides, you should monitor BB's learning progress. If you find BB is really confused, you should stop and maybe find an expert to check or do a test. Anyway, it should be ok generally.

洋房

發表於 04-5-21 15:29 |顯示全部帖子

Hi Maria,

Thank you very much for your useful information.

首頁

尾頁

跳至