跳至

首頁

尾頁

別墅

積分: 924

發表於 07-5-16 04:28 |顯示全部帖子

2007 New mother & mother-to-be (Toronto)

Let's share information and support each other!

My baby due date is Dec. 14th
Hospital: North York General
Gynecologist: Dr. Man Fan Ho

大宅

積分: 1136

發表於 07-5-16 04:39 |顯示全部帖子

Re: 2007 New mother & mother-to-be (Toronto)

ahbocat,
Nice to meet you! I am expecting to have my 2nd child and due date is 20JUN. My tummy is super big now and just waiting to start my maternity leave in JUN.

My daughter is 4.5yrs now and I live in Vancouver.

Are you working mom? Is it the first time pregnancy?

別墅

發表於 07-5-17 03:30 |顯示全部帖子

Hi xother,

Nice to meet you too!!
Wah...you will have your baby soon?!! So good!! This is your 2nd one, so you must be well prepared!!

It's the first pregnancy for me...very excited and worry!! My tummy is a bit big and firm now, the feeling is kind of weird!!

My morning sickness is fading out, that's what I feel now...is it something good and right? I am in 9w4d.

I am a working mom ah, very easy to get tired in the office. You will be on maturnity leave, how long will you take?

Good luck to you and all the best to your family!

大宅

發表於 07-5-17 04:02 |顯示全部帖子

ahbocat,
No. I never thought I will have my 2nd child until she is about 3yrs, so I didnt keep any baby stuff for this one. Plus we just migrate to Canada 3.5yrs ago, so we get rid of all baby stuff. Now we have to start from stratch like you! I bought a stroller, car seat, rocking chair so far and few baby clothes and I think it should be fine. Besides, my daughter born in HK and it may be different as I never experience any Canadian hospital procedure.

NO need to worry about morning sickness as this is part of the pregnancy, some can be very sick while I didnt really suffer from any morning sickness. In mostly, after 3months, you will be normal.

I havent started my materinity leave yet as I want to make more before I go. I will work till the end of this month but it really hard as my tummy is super big now! My husband will share 2months parental leave, so I dont have full 1yr leave.

So far I gain about 20lbs but I can feel the pressure whenever I walk up steps. Now I have to hold the trees when I wait for the bus!

Lucky is my daughter and husband help me alot. Before that, I have to give my daughter shower and brush teeth everyday, but since I have big tummy, my daughter understand that and she never give me hard time.

How long have you been here? Do you have any relatives to help you out?

大宅

積分: 2823

發表於 07-5-17 09:56 |顯示全部帖子

hi hi ahbocat,

My baby birth date: April 12, 2007
Hospital: North York General
GB: Dr. Dennis Chu

My daughter was born in August 2004. The OB at that time was Dr. M F Ho as well.

How do you do? Have you signed up for prenatal class?

大宅

發表於 07-5-19 01:39 |顯示全部帖子

PoohPoohMaMa,
Glad to see your post again! How is your baby doing?
I am really suffer in this month as my tummy is over 42", the biggest ever! I wish my baby can come fast and now I am counting....8more working days to go!!

My OB didnt send me to any other ultrasound, but instead, she took some sample from my private part as she said to make sure there is no virus (she has an english terms but I didnt understand) when the baby comes out. It is new to me! Anyway, I will see her again every week now onward and this time my boy really kick me hard. I really feel pain and my first pregnancy is much easier compare with this one!

大宅

發表於 07-5-19 22:57 |顯示全部帖子

xother,

I can tell you are very excited! The sample the OB took was for Group B Strep. Hope you are fine. Are you ready for the baby?

My daughter got the rotavirus yesterday; she throws up, diarrhea and have fever. So my hubby takes care of her and I take care of the bb since BB can't get close to my daughter. We won't go anywhere for the long weekend. :(

Do you plan to use epidural this time?

大宅

發表於 07-5-20 02:32 |顯示全部帖子

PoohPoohMaMa,
I dont feel excited, instead I feel annoy by my disability and clumsy! I wish he can come fast and give me peace.
Am I ready....I guess yes! I have my bed set up, car seat ready, baby clothes all washed, baby wipe and just need to go to supermarket to buy diaper this week, then it should be fine.

Sorry to hear your daughter situation, but lucky your hubby can help you out. Is he taking any parental leave?

NO, I didn't use eduidural last time and I am not going to use it this time as I know what is the consequences. If I can do it last time and I am more confident to do it this time and come out faster! Last time is 11hrs after water break and I am aimed to finish with few hrs. When I bought my car seat from the owner, she told me she finised in 3hrs only!

Yes, we have lots of fun this month! As my husband has a tourism passport which allows him to take 1 guest to visit many tourist attractions in Vancouver, we already went to over 10 places in the last 2 weeks. Today he is taking my daughter to join a 5 hrs tour to the Grouse Mountain and Caplilano Bridge which are all free! It is the first time my husband go out with our daughter without me! He is very nervous and hope our daughter wont give him hard time! We still have plenty of places to go, such as zoo, farm, cruise, museum, horse-dawn tour and IMAX for $3 only..... I hope my husband can manage our daughter well, then we still have next weekend to enjoy all those free stuff!

For me, I prefer to stay home as my spine starts to hurt me. If I get up from the chair, I have to struggle for a while before I get up. Plus I feel the tummy is too big and I dont feel balance at all. If I am waiting the bus, I need to hold on something and I feel shaking if I just stand without holding anyting. That really annoy me and I dont enjoy that last month at all.

My husband already asked me to leave the job and stay home, but I think I can work few more days till the end of this month, so 8 more working days!

別墅

發表於 07-5-23 04:31 |顯示全部帖子

Wah...8 more working days to go for you!! All the best to you and your coming baby!!

You do really struggle with the oversize tummy!! You have to take care yourself ah, if you can't balance yourself, you better stay home instead!!

It's good to hear that your hubby and your daughter help and support you!! They have to understand your situation...20 pounds extra in your body!!

My husband helps me too, he is doing almost all the house work now!! I had ultra sound last Saturday, we saw the baby moving and the heart beating!! Amazing!! The technician told me that she/he is about 3cm big...wow...so tiny!! We were so happy to see our baby (I was crying), and the technician printed a "photo" to us as gift!! She is so nice!!

Since this is my first pregnancy, I have to buy lots of things too!! But I will wait until after 12 weeks or so. I think some of my friends can give me their babies stuffs, therefore I may save some money by using 2nd handed things...well...I don't really care because all of my friends are in my age group...their babies just 1 or 2 years old.

I came to Toronto in 1993 from HK. My parents and some relatives are in here, and my husband's parents are in here too. I think I may have a lots of helpers...but now what I am concerning is my parents and my inlaws...my baby will be there first grandkid...I hope they may not fight for baby sitting.
It could be a big headache for me & my husband.

Talk to you later!! Wish you all well and get birth the baby as soon as possible!!

別墅

發表於 07-5-23 04:40 |顯示全部帖子

Hi PoohPoohMaMa,

How are you? You got birth last month already!! Congratulation!!

Your daughter OB was Dr. Ho, why did you change to Dr. Chu? Is Dr. Ho good? One of my friends saw Dr. Ho before, and she told me that he is okay, so I chose him as my OB.

I am living in Richmond Hill, I should take the nearest hospital which is the York General...but many people are saying North York General is very good, so I picked North York too. Is it a good hospital?

I didn't signed up for prenatal class yet, but I know Lydia Ling is a very good teacher. Did you hear her name?

Nice to meet you!!

大宅

發表於 07-5-23 05:53 |顯示全部帖子

ahbocat,
I dont have stress in my job but if I stay home, it is the same except no income. My hubby wants me to stop as he can see how slow I am and stress to get on the train in the morning. People are not so nice here as people dont always give away seat! Anyway, only 15mins and I can survive!
yes, no need to buy stuff until you pass the first trimester.
It is good if you can get some stuff from your friends as well as help from your relatives. We are opposite as we have no relatives here and finding a daycare is nightmare in Canada!

just wonder if you are a emotional person? I rarely see people cry by looking at the ultrasound. I cant imagine what will happen to you once the baby comes out? In fact, I dont really feel much when my daughter born but grow more since she starts to communicate with words. She picks up all my character and I feel like I have a twin sister now!

大宅

發表於 07-5-23 08:23 |顯示全部帖子

hi ahbocat,

Beacuse Dr. Ho would be on vacation on my due date, so I went to Dr. Chu. Both of them are good. Dr. Ho is very experienced. Dr. Chu is very nice.

NYGH is good; I live in Richmond Hill too. NYGH is very good in postnatal care. The facilities are very good too. I had a very good care at NYGH; I am very happy with the nurses and doctors.

I joined Lydia for prenatal class. She is very good. Although it is expensive, I think it worth it. She has many good products for baby care.

So far do you feel okay? Have you started shopping for baby?

別墅

發表於 07-5-23 22:06 |顯示全部帖子

Can't imagine the people are so bad in your train!! Fortunately, your office is not too far away. My office is in downtown Toronto, it takes me 45mins on a train to get to work.

Yes, I know that it is hard to find a daycare in Canada. Same case in Toronto!! Most of the big and good centres are always full.

I am a very emotional person. I can cry in a second. I got miscarriage last year, therefore this baby means a lot to me and my hubby.

Take care!

別墅

發表於 07-5-23 22:42 |顯示全部帖子

Really? You live in Richmond Hill too!! We may be neightbors!!

My husband wanted to pick York General because it is closer, so he won't be panic as he drives me to the hospital. He is scared by the traffic jam on 404. Anyway, he consented my choice (NYGH). Now, I can tell him that I have another friend saying NYGH is good!

Oh...you joined Lydia's class too?!! One of my friends joined too couple years ago. Yes, she told me the same thing too...I may spend lots of money on the products she suggests. I didn't ask my friend for details, so I am not quite sure what kind of products she bought. I think I will join the class anyway because I want to learn how to take care newborn...and I want my husband to join the class too!!

Thanks for your concern!! I am feeling okay...looks like the morning sickness is fading away. More comfortable now!! My first appointment with Dr. Ho will be on June 5. Do you still remember what he had done on your first appointment? Any tests?
I think I will start shopping for the baby after Dr. Ho appointment. I will pay attention to the sales at Walmart, Toysrus...etc. Where did you buy your babies' stuffs? Which brands you prefer?

大宅

發表於 07-5-24 06:53 |顯示全部帖子

ahbocat,
My office is not close to my house and I need to take bus after train, but since I am at the bus terminal, I can easily to get space. Yes, even my husband said people are very bad regarding of giving seat.

Yes, finding daycare is hard, but I think it is worth as kids learn more from peers and I can see there is significant benefit to my daughter. She understand what is sharing and toilet train easily.

Regarding on baby stuff, I am not sure if it is similar to Vancouver, Walmart and Toyrus only sell certain brands. From my search, I found Peg Perego or Qinn are the top of the line on stroller, Graco is very common and Saftey 1st is the cheapest. Infant car seat can outgrow very fast and I dont suggest to spend too much money on it. I am not the type of person who hang around shopping center all day, so I dont really need to buy whole set of travel system, instead, I bought second hard and it save me a lot!

大宅

發表於 07-5-24 09:18 |顯示全部帖子

ahbocat,

hope you take good care of yourself!

I remember on my first appointment, Dr. Ho will use the ultrasound to check the heartbeat and measure the neck skin. Just go there normally. He will ask you if you want to do the IPS test (to test the probability of Down's Syndrom). Also the nurse will tell you Dr. Ho will charge $200 admin fee (not the fee to deliver your baby). I paid that around 5th month; however, I didn't use any of extra service, e.g. phone consultation or referral. One of my friends didn't pay that $200 and she received the same service.

Lydia offers some products like 妊娠紋cream, cloth diapers, Sebamed baby products, some Amway products like calcium pills, baby cloth washing powder, also some maternity products like net panties and blue pad using in the hospital. She is very good at teaching breastfeeding, so she will have some product helping you breastfeeding like breast pump, breastfeeding pillow.

I didn't buy a lot of stuffs when I have my first bb because my friends passed me most of the stuffs like crib, playpen, carseat and stroller. BabiesRUs has some product lines, walmart tend to be a cheaper version. Another store is Dear Born on Doncrest Ave (north of Steels and Yonge). You should check out all the brands first.

I would suggest you not to get the travel system because usually the stroller is very heavy. I rather buy the stroller and carseat separately. Peg-perego is a good brand and I love the quality. However it's more expensive. I advise you not to buy second hand carseat because it may involve in a crash and you can't use it anymore. Also there is an expiry date for carseat. Peg-perego P3 is a pretty good stroller.

Hope the information help.

where do you live? I am near Major Mac and Bayview.

別墅

發表於 07-5-24 22:53 |顯示全部帖子

Hi xother,

Oh...I thought you just need to take the train to work tim!! How dare the people don't give out seat to pregnant woman!! Shame on them!! Few more days to go!! Take good care!!

If my parents can take care my baby, I may not need to find daycare in rush. By the way, I want my baby to learn some more Chinese before she/he goes to school. Honestly, I would like her/him to speak Chinese at home. Some of my friends took their kids to daycare, and the kids started to refuse to speak Chinese. I think nowadays...it is good to know more different languages. I used to study in a Mandarin/English secondary school in HK. I complained to my parents why I have to study in a Mandarin school. But now...I am glad that I'm fluent in Mandarin!!

Thank you for your shopping advises!! I will go check the brands out.

All the best to you!!

別墅

發表於 07-5-24 23:23 |顯示全部帖子

Hi PoohPoohMama,

Hahaha...we live quite close together!! I am in Elgin Mills & Leslie!! So, you are nearby the Walmart/Dominian, and I am nearby the Richmond Hill Green/the future Costco. We might meet before!!

Thanks for telling me the info about Dr. Ho first appointment!! My family doctor told me that Dr. Ho charges $200 for delivery, but he didn't tell me there is another $200 admin. fee for extra services. Wow...I should tell my husband sin!! Did you pay the $200 delivery fee? My friend paid it, but she gave birth on a Sunday, so Dr. Ho didn't show up lor...she lost $200!!

Did you do the IPS test (I think in HK, they called it OSCAR)? I asked my family doctor, he told me that I am not 35 years old, so I may not need to do it. There is a very minimal chance to have miscarriage after the test. The blood test can screen the chance of Down's as well. If the blood test shows, then doctor will do the IPS test to confirm. I think I will ask Dr. Ho for advise too.

When will be the good time to enroll Lydia's class? Should I wait until my first appointment with Dr. Ho? I didn't tell a lot of people about my pregnancy yet. I will tell my friends after, then hopefully, they may have some "extra" or used stuffs for me!!

Thank you for your information about all the baby stuffs!! I didn't know there is a store called Dear Born!! Hum...let me check it out sin!!

I think it is quite convenience to live in our area. Walmart is nearby, Loblaws and Toyrus/Babiesrus are not too far away. And there will be a Costco soon!!

All the best to you and your family!!

別墅

積分: 751

發表於 07-5-25 00:22 |顯示全部帖子

ahbocat:

我仔6歲﹐幫我接生的醫生也是 Dr. Man Fan Ho﹐比$200行政費是指定佢做接生﹐每次檢查都有超聲波﹐唔比錢就無得揀醫生﹐整個懷孕期只得兩次超聲波檢查。

買車仔、car seat﹐行多幾間比較價錢﹐我經常去Sears、Bay、Walmart、Toysrus、Canadian Tire 。 如妳有親戚在﹐他們可能會送比妳﹐當初我未睇定﹐我的親戚好心急各自買咗床仔、車仔、car seat 送來我家﹐未必合心水﹐但都會照用囉﹗

大宅

發表於 07-5-25 00:31 |顯示全部帖子

ahbocat,
At first I thought I was not wearing maternity clothes and cover by big jacket, so people may not aware, but it is not true. People just dont have curtsey here! Or I dont really a type of peope who shows I am helpless. I will just stand for 15mins as it is not a big deal for me.
Speaking of language, I think bilingual always good, but I also see the advantage of being speak 1 language. My daughter's language ability is much better than other bilingual kids in the daycare. As my husband only speak English, so English is the main language we speak at home. My husband also come from 1 language background and his English is much better than many other native speakers.

Yes, it is common for kids to refuse speaking Chinese at home but if you insist, they will follow you. My case is different as I dont have Chinese TV nor attend Chinese church, so my daughter has not much chance to understand Chinese except she called herself Chinese! She understand some kids in daycare are Chinese and they dont speak English. Sometimes I look at my colleagues who fluent in different languages, I dont see much advantage except good when you are traveling, or I should say it depends on what type of job they are doing. I am very bad on Mandarin and I prefer to communicate in English and it doesnt really affects me since we are all in Canada. It may be important to learn Mandarin if I am in HK!

首頁

尾頁

跳至