首頁

尾頁

別墅

積分: 601

61#
發表於 07-2-1 01:12 |只看該作者

Re: 請講吓加拿大近況

cccaaa,
perhaps I will give you a more simple answer and the answer is NO.

For monthly NET income of $2500-$3000 means
$40K-$48K GROSS income in Canada. I used a 33% reduction for tax, Employment Insurance and Pension deduction.

So in general, $40K-$48K salary is already well above average, secretary, bank tellers are far from this salary.

I hope this will finally satisfy you.

YukiMommy

大宅

積分: 1136

62#
發表於 07-2-1 01:12 |只看該作者

Sorry to say this is the viticm of "spoon-feed education" as he/she just want to get the answer instead of finding it by himself/herself.
If the person like that, no wonder he/she cannot get any job before.
As a Canadian, I dont mind anyone to bring all your money to come here because at the end you will end up like before, pack and leave. Canada will be the winner as they have created job for others!

民房

積分: 29

63#
發表於 07-2-1 14:57 |只看該作者

Please don't censure me too much, I just want to know about the latest Canada for everything because I left there for too long ago. So, just let a causal talk with them and want to get a useful information due to you all in Canada. right.

Don't

大宅

64#
發表於 07-2-1 23:41 |只看該作者

cccaaa,
You still dont understand!
Yes, feel free to bring all your money in Canada as we all live in heaven and your dream will come true. Make sure you sell everything before you come and there is plenty of jobs waiting for you.

別墅

積分: 751

65#
發表於 07-2-1 23:52 |只看該作者

YukiMommy:

$2500-3000 的工作有很多﹐例如廚師、侍應生、做西餅、保安員、司機這類工會報少量的稅﹐簡單講肯做的話就有這個收入﹐但是﹐專業人士會屈就做這些工嗎﹖

大宅

66#
發表於 07-2-2 00:08 |只看該作者

Lily,
Yes, plenty of jobs on the market but dont forget we are talking a new immigrants who has no Canadian experience plus we dont know how good is English.

In HK, there is plenty of jobs, but doesnt that mean the unemployment rate is very low?
If you are talking about the bottom level job, I believe many Chinese boss only pay you minimum salary which is around $8/hr and the monthly salary will be much less. We have so many McDonalds here and the ad to hire staff are always there!

複式洋房

積分: 158

67#
發表於 07-2-2 01:02 |只看該作者

cccaaa,

Don't understand why you still can't get it??!!!!??

OK. Since I have left HK for 10 year (long long time), I would like to know what happen if I go back HK now, since you are in HK now, I also would like to get some info from you.

1)What's the changes of HK is the last 10 years? (please state according to different aspects)

3)How many min. income can support a couple of family in a month for ok life?

4)"Can you tell us the average monthly wages in general job?"

5)"Can I find a permanent job around HKD$200,000-250,000/mth for any kind of job?
Please state out."

6)Do you like living in HK or better in Toronto, why and why not?

I am also curious about what happen in HK and would like to have your input too. The question is similar to what you have posted before, wish you can help!

I would like to see what kind of answers you are going to give, if you ever border to answer. Or you will just ignore it as before...

Rabbit

別墅

積分: 751

68#
發表於 07-2-2 01:02 |只看該作者

Xother:

那些工不須經驗和英語﹐只需勞力和受氣﹐工作時間長得很﹐由10-15個鐘一日﹐咁辛苦﹗當然有$2500-3000 啦﹗

大宅

69#
發表於 07-2-2 01:12 |只看該作者

Lily,
I am not sure where you live, but I doubt the salary is correct. Even $15/hr, working 40hrs/week, the total is $2600/month. How many people really pay $15/hr? From newspaper, even construction job doesnt pay that much unless you are come with skills. My neigbour is currently looking for job but according to her, most jobs only pay minimum salary in Vancouver. May be you live in Ottawa as the average salary is the highest among Canadian cities.

Yes, if you work under table job, you may get more. Like I said, Fat Chow's movie that he works and sleep in Chinese restaurant, yes, for sure he will make that much.

大宅

70#
發表於 07-2-2 01:16 |只看該作者

rabbit2006,
Dont get upset too much. Just let him/her come as she/he will bring all his/her money to Canada. After all the money gone and he/she will pack and go which is similar to her/him 10years ago. Just paint him/her a nice picture and Canada is a paradise. We love all new immigrants as they all come with big junk of money.

複式洋房

71#
發表於 07-2-2 01:32 |只看該作者

Hi Lily,

I am also doubt about that. As far as I know, many Chinese company here only paid the minium wage of around $8/hr. As you said if works for 10 hr/day and 6 day per week, the total is less than $20K.

If you go western company, the wage may be higher but surely their requirement will be higher too.
(Also we are talking about $25K-30K net which literally means 40-45K gross income.)

As said before, there are surely some jobs avaliable and you surely can survive if you don't mind working day night and for very low level job just like the Fat Chow's movie.

However, what we have been discussing is a so called "professional" earning around $60-70K CND per year in HK. I think it is highly unlikely that they will be willing to do the aforementioned job. If so, I question about their point of moving here to begin with.

Lily 寫道:
Xother:

那些工不須經驗和英語﹐只需勞力和受氣﹐工作時間長得很﹐由10-15個鐘一日﹐咁辛苦﹗當然有$2500-3000 啦﹗

大宅

72#
發表於 07-2-2 01:40 |只看該作者

If I am right, there is rules in Canada which the maximum hours cannot exceed 40hrs/week, otherwise OT will apply. eg, a maid will only work 8hrs/day and the rest has to pay OT.

rabbit2006, please dont fool by that cccaaa, she/he said professional in construction field. May be just a labour job as they also make big money due to great risk. I doubt any professional will seek for any job after working 10yrs in HK?

別墅

73#
發表於 07-2-2 02:07 |只看該作者

xother,
this may be slightly off topic, but there is one thing I meant to point out to you for a while...

you referred that:
"there is rules in Canada which the maximum hours cannot exceed 40hrs/week, otherwise OT will apply. eg, a maid will only work 8hrs/day and the rest has to pay OT."

This is actually not true, in a way, particularly for professional types jobs.

For example in IT/engineering etc., no one will pay you over time, even in Canadian firms. The reason is simple, for example, if I hired a software engineer and expect him to finish the work in 1 week (time estimated based on experience etc.) But he is just not smart enough and need to work over time to get it finish. Should the firm pay him more because he is just not too smart. One can argue that he should earn a lower salary etc. But that's not the practice in the field. Unless, the employer know that you cannot do finish the job in regular times, but need you to work overtime, then they will pay you OT.

Point is, 40hours week is a myth in a lot of job categories, and also depends on how senior your position is. The VPs and executives in my companies that I have worked before, always work long hours because they want the company to be successful. Of course, the company's success become their success through stock options and bonus etc., but they receive NO OT.

For those types of jobs, they are as stressful as in HK.

Anyway, I guess the more "relax" picture of Canadian jobs may not be true to everyone.

YukiMommy

大宅

74#
發表於 07-2-2 02:29 |只看該作者

YukiMommy,
yes, obviously there is no fixed rule for every job. The higher pay will definite come with higher expectation and yes, you need to be very smart in order to accomplish your task on time. If you are not smart, then I agree you should take a lower pay job instead of working like a slave. Canada value family life and it is your choice to choose the job, right?

For lower level job which is paid by hourly rate. eg, I work in call centre before and even 15mins overtime, I will get pay. As you said before, maid only work certain hours as it is protected by labour law.

For senior executives, I think the working hours can be varied. It depends on their roles in the company. Some just act like communicator, so their roles are to get in touch with other people and promote the company. Do you count eating out, playing golf, attend cocktail party as working hours? If they have business trips, do you count they work 24hrs a day? My definition for executive is just to make decision which requires your brain to make right decision, not to sit in the office 24hrs to do all the admin job.

別墅

75#
發表於 07-2-2 02:49 |只看該作者

xother,
I know what you mean 15mins still count as OT. My mom used to do that in the bank. But even so, they banned it because people are taking advantage of the system. People just slowly pack up their stuff, chit-chat to other people, and leave at 515 instead of 500 and still claim OT. So, for her bank, unless she works 30mins or more OT and approved by manager, otherwise, no more OT.

For maid, live-in maids are more flexible in terms of over time. Because they live at your house and got no where to go, they usually will work slower during the day, thus longer hours. No one will pay overtime for that because they choose to work slower. And that's ok as long as the job is done. But for live-out maid, they will count every minutes because they got to leave the house.

For executives, I don't count the cocktail, business trips etc. For a company, many decisions have to be made. For example, in my husband's company, they were planning to start an office in ukraine. Lots of work. Meeting with lawyers, internal meetings, putting together plans etc. They work all day. I agree though, their work hours varied. The long hours do not happen everyday, but for some companies, they happen just very very often.

Yes, people are free to choose their jobs and Canada values family lives a lot more than in HK. But from what I see, at least in the hi-tech field, because the new-grads are so eager to perform (as they have no family baggage) and so smart (always on top of new technology), they are posing a threat to the mature generation. New-grads receive less salary, don't care about OT, the mature generation are forced to compete in a way.....so, they may not hava a choice at the end of the day....unless the mature generation is so confident that they can easily get another similar pay job...which may not always be the case....

大宅

76#
發表於 07-2-2 03:16 |只看該作者

YukiMommy,
Regarding the high-tech field, I think they just over-paid before due to lack of people equip with that knowledge. Now since more institutes provide such knowledge and more people join the industry, so the salary reflect the real value.
But still, if you are good, you are always come with value and the company will pay you more to keep you. If you remain the same even working for 10yrs, yes, obviously the new comer will come and take your job. It applies to any job.

We always say life learning and I think that is very important in IT field. My BIL was in IT field for over 20yrs and I dont see him having any threat from new comers. He owns his own company and he hires those new graduate to fix computer as they are cheap. My husband's cousin in Australia just got a job to work in US as she has over 10yrs experience in IT and her knowledge is much better than any new graduate, otherwise, why the company has to hire her all the way from Australia. My brother who got lay off long time ago but since he was constantly studying IT subjects, he changed his field become IT auditor with even higher paid. Every job is competitive and we just need to improve ourselves in order to survive.

複式洋房

77#
發表於 07-2-2 03:25 |只看該作者

As I mentioned before, I only think working in Canada is only a bit more relax, here is a bit more respect to family life "IN GENERALl". However, I think it only depends on the job catagories.

For what I see in Toronto, many job catagoies here in are highly pressure and demanding in term of time and committment.

An obvious one is IT. Yeah, the competition is really keen as the experienced one don't want to be replaced by the new one. So they are "forced" to compete. My friend work in IT field in a Canadian Bank, he never leave work before 9pm and work at least 6 days a week in order to survive, the boss is pushing them to meet tight deadline to attained the project bonus set by the company, they are all looking into productivity and performance.

My another friends here who is a Phamacist, he have been working 7 days a week until 11mid-night for the past 3 months. The drug shop just wanna cut cost, he is a super-responsible person, he can just leave the work undone. And also he is experieneced, his paid is higher. It is easy for his employer to replace him by fresh graducate. Also according to him, many many pharmasist from other province eg. Nova Scotia is willing to come to work in Ontario with low paid coz the paid at their home province is even lower. So their boss can easily replace them by those new comer. If they don't work hard and over-perform, he can be replaced easily.
My husband, he work in academia, in his field, flying everywhere for conference is a norm, no family life is appreciated. If you do not fly for conference, no input, no publication, you will be out of the way very soon.
In HK, academia do not require to fly that often, as there are not much research done and they can just sit there to wait for retirement.
So, I do think pressurized or not, overwork or not is mostly depends on the job catagories.
Of course I agree, Canada is more relax in HK in some ways but it only apply to particular job catagories.

In addition, I also think there is quite a big difference betweent the west coast culture and the east coast culture. In general, west coast is more relax, laid back and friendly whereas the east coast is usually more tough and pressuried. So there may be a difference between Vancouver and Toronto!

大宅

78#
發表於 07-2-2 04:00 |只看該作者

rabbit2006,
I never live in Toronto, so cannot really tell if our life is more laid back. But for sure our job oppportunity is far less than in Toronto as Vancouver is such a small city.

Life is always give and take. If you want to take more, obviously you need to give more. I am not sure if I should categorize that is Chinese behavior as we worried new comer will take over our job. I heard many new immigrants who landed in Canada and once they got the citizenship and experience, they move to States as the paid is much higer. eg, pharmacist pay $100k/yr. It may not apply to everyone but salary definitely higher in States, in terms, medical also extra if you live in States.

If you dont like to work that long hours, then quit the job or look for another job which has better condition. It really depends on what do you really like to get at the end. It is like having a girl friend or boy friend, if that doesnt match your requirement, then change it. There is plenty of trees in the forest, why we stick at one only!

rabbit2006,
How about have your husband to just be a normal teacher who doesnt require any overseas trip or writing journal. Yes, you may say the salary will cut half or the teacher job also has different stress.

Yes, stress on every job and I always tease my husband even cleaning toilet job for him will be a big stress as this is his character.

複式洋房

79#
發表於 07-2-2 04:40 |只看該作者

xother,

I just wanna clarify, I don't see there are any problem with "take more, give more". This is the rules. So my husband has no problem flying around.

The example is just to point out that it is not much about a place which make a job stressful or not. It about the job catagory and the position.

I don't see a CEO in Toronto is anything less stressful and required to work less hr then one in HK. And if one want a relax life not neccessary has to come Toronto, they can simply give up their high paid and high position in HK and get a low paid and non-demanding job.

It depends on the job catagory and positon and not neccessary the country.

大宅

80#
發表於 07-2-2 05:34 |只看該作者

rabbit2006,
I am not sure if you agree that top 500 good companies to work for always go to western company which they always come with manuals and set procedure. Have evaluation systems and appraisal.

Chinese companies rarely come with those stuff and Chinese is famous not to share their knowledge while western are opposite. I used to work in US company in HK and I dont see any stress while I work in Chinese company in here, yes, OT without pay and I have to dig the answer instead of I can find it from the manual.

As my personal opinion, as long as NON-Chinese company, it will be less stress in general. Plus US company tend to give good benefits overall.

For your husband's case, I do have lots of lectures/professors as my clients and I dont see they fly alot. Yes, going back to their hometown once a year during Xmas or summer holiday are common and they always pay top money due to high season. For writing journal, it depends on your skills. My husband can finish his assignment within a day while I take a month, so as I said before, it is your choice what to take in life.

首頁

尾頁

跳至