跳至
[加拿大] My story

首頁

尾頁

大宅

積分: 1136

發表於 07-6-11 13:04 |顯示全部帖子

My story

I would like to share my experience of giving birth to my son, Nicholas. He was born on 8Jun 1.05am.

My contractions started around 4.30pm and I decided to go to hospital after 9pm. The OB arrived within 30mins around 10pm. At that time my daughter was with me and the OB told me it should be fine even though she is there. It is a relief for me!

Around 11pm, my daughter was sleeping at the corner of the room where has a small sofa. The OB asked me if I feel to push the baby out?? I have no idea even though the contraction is every 5mins! I didnt take any epidural but just the laughing gas. As the pain are more serious, I really feel it. Around 12am, I started to push but I cannot make it. Around 30mins, the OB asked me to take a break for wait 3 more contraction and finally I made it at 1.05am. He is a chunky baby, 8lb 7oz!

The best thing I can remember to give birth here is the staff and OB. My OB was with me for 3hrs and 2 other staff are so patient. I think I am the only one to give birth on that night. There is no any student/unrelated people around and they allow my daughter to stay in the same room and it surprise me very much is my daughter never woke up throughout the whole process.

My daughter was born in HK and I can see how different they treat me. They allowed me to try different position, right, flat or left. Give me water while I was in pain. Allow me to stretch my legs while HK is more like a robot which I was not allowed to turn, drink water or even more my back!

After my son born, I was so exhausted and have to send my husband home with our daughter. The staff was so kind to offer me a toast and milk at midnight and I was so touched by that!

From the water broke till my son come out, it is around 3hrs and my wound is not that bad. Now we are at home and my husband has taken 2month parental leave to help me and now we are enjoying our new member of the family!

別墅

積分: 601

發表於 07-6-11 22:07 |顯示全部帖子

Re: My story

Congratulations!!!

Take some rest and enjoy. There will be sleepless nights ahead for a while

Take care.

YukiMommy

大宅

積分: 2823

發表於 07-6-11 22:29 |顯示全部帖子

wow xother, congratulations!! Does Nicolas arrive early than expected? You did a great job!

I find having 2 children isn't easy, but only a few more years to "bear" and should be better soon.

Take care!!

大宅

積分: 3712

好媽媽勳章

發表於 07-6-11 23:17 |顯示全部帖子

congratulations

my daughter was with me during my delivery too, but she saw the whole process. when i asked her, she still remember the moment of the birth of her sister. she held my hands and wiped my tears because it was so painful.

大宅

發表於 07-6-12 10:51 |顯示全部帖子

ckkwkl,
I am glad that my daughter didnt see/hear anything about my childbirth as I worried it may scare her by seeing mommy in such pain. I saw one of the funnies video on tv showing how upset the small girl heard that her mother announced pregnancy and burst to cry.

PoohPoohMaMa,
Yes, Nick born 12days earlier than the due date while my 1st daughter born 10days earlier as well.
Just to have a child is not easy and having 2 are a challenge. Glad that my husband is at home and my daughter just behave as my plan.
One question about your breastfeeding, I have too much milk on my 3rd day and my breast is in serious pain. Did you have such experience?
I couldnt slept last night and have to sit on the sofa in order to get sleep. Today is much better as I message my breast before feeding and use cabbage to reduce the pain.

YukiMommy,
I dont mind sleepless night as long as he is healthy as we can all catch it up later. It is very different from last time as I have to pray every single night to put my daughter to sleep! Now I just need to adjust my clock and enjoy the time with my family.

大宅

發表於 07-6-12 12:28 |顯示全部帖子

hi xother,

I don't have engorgement problem; maybe my son eats quite well. If I feel the breasts are hard, I would compress the milk to store it. If your milk is too much, you can try the cabbage and also eat a little pigeon. It will reduce the amount.

大宅

發表於 07-6-12 16:41 |顯示全部帖子

PoohPoohMaMa,
I thought milk will only produce by demand and never thought it can cause me so much pain. Anyway, problem solved now as I fed my son every 1-2hrs.

Just wonder you were in labour for 14hrs, how long did your OB stay with you? I find very comfortable as my OB is a woman and she knows exactly how to guide me. She told me if that is the right spot to push and I was very pleased with her as she seems have faith for me to give birth by natural.

Now the nurse is asking me to give vitamin D drop to my son as this is all recommended by the govt, does that apply to you too? But I will wait to see my family doctor on this THU as that is also recommend by the nurse to check up baby with your family doctor.

I was looking at your son's picture, my son has very similar look! Sorry I dont know how to post it here, please let me know your email and I will email the picture to you.

As we both have daughter first and son later, do you find it is easier to handle with boy? It is so easy to clean the poopoo and I dont really need to do much after pee! Now I am thinking about circumcise? My husband did it when he was very young while my sister's 2 sons didnt do it at all. I am half and half. What do you think?

大宅

發表於 07-6-12 21:14 |顯示全部帖子

xother,

Vitamin D is for all breastfeeding babies. You will need to give it to him if you BF him fulltime.

well, I think boys have other concerns... but for the hygene issue, you also need to clean the jer jer carefully. If you wanna circumcise your son, you will need to do it within the first month. Ask your family doctor for referral. I didn't ask his doctor until he turns first month which is too late to do it. I was 50/50 on that too. But my mother in law said Caleb doesn't seem needing it. It was a very tough decision; then, no doctor was willing to do it for Caleb, and I think God decided it for me. :)

Actually I should say you can do it anytime, but first month is the best time and also the cheapest... I think there is a doctor in Vancouver who will circumcise babies under 2 months old. See this website Circumcision doctor

I will PM you my email address.

別墅

積分: 834

發表於 07-6-13 09:19 |顯示全部帖子

xother,

congratulations !! I'm glad to hear your new member has arrived in your family. Take more rest and enjoy these precious moments.

別墅

積分: 751

發表於 07-6-13 22:17 |顯示全部帖子

xother,

恭喜妳生了個慈姑定﹐有無同BB 改個中文名﹖ 餵人奶好辛苦喎﹗無人可代勞﹐睡兩個鐘又要起身餵﹐有無覺得唔夠訓頭痛呀﹖ 我果陣時係食住頭痛藥來餵人奶﹐好苦﹗我建議妳訓覺﹐半夜個餐奶叫妳老公起身開樽奶餵BB﹐兩溝唔緊要﹐好處係BB 會飽D﹐大人又可訓耐D。

別墅

發表於 07-6-14 00:07 |顯示全部帖子

I think it's better to circumcise as soon as possible even tho mine is a daughter and I have no experience on boys. But I remember my husbund told me that when he was small (around 3-4 yrs old). His mom brought him to the hospital to circumcise, he could still remember the painful days after the operation. He was mad at his mom for a mth for doing that. Hahahahahha.

大宅

發表於 07-6-14 07:11 |顯示全部帖子

To all who response to my story, I will PM you the link which will show you my picture as well as my new born son, Nicholas!

PoohPoohMaMa,
I have emailed you the link and do you think our sons look very similar
The nurse had visited me yesterday and she said vitamin D can get it from the sun as well. I will see my family doctor tomorrow and ask his second opinion regarding on that issue.
Regarding the circumcise, I will discuss with my family doctor but I think it is too young to do it right now. The belly button is my main concern now and I dont think I can handle circumcise as it is more serious wound! My sister said as long as you teach the boys to clean that extra skin, it should have no problem and no need to give such pain to our son.

How is your daughter doing? My daughter behaves better than I expect. She even told me to keep quiet as the baby needs sleep. She likes to watch me to change his diaper as well as shower. She always wants to help and she is so proud to tell her friends that she has a baby brother. I am so glad that she didnt give me any hard time!

b9lingling.
How is your Disney trip? Yes, I agree that circumcise is very painful experience for any boys and that's why I am reluctant to do it.
Just to let you know that my OB also do schedule c-section and I strongly recommend you to give birth in Canada as the staff are so kind and helpful. It is total different from giving birth in HK!

Lily,
I didnt give any chinese name to both my kids, but my husband agree to use my last name as their middle name, so both carry my last name (LEUNG) as their middle name. He said since they both half Chinese and having the middle name can help them to trace their heritage. I am so glad he value me so much.

Regarding on my breastfeeding, I am doing very fine. Last time I messed up as I dont know how to do it as the correct way. This time I didnt let him to injure my nipple, however, my body produce more milk than my son can drink, so I have hard time on my 4th date. I can't even sleep due to the pain! Then I start to BF him every hour and message my breast whenever before feeding, it helps! At that night, he seems pick it up and I have to do a marathon breastfeeding! From 3.20am till 7.30am, I have to breastfeed him on each side of my breast 4 times!! total of 8 times breastfeed in 4hrs!! He behaves like a vacuum cleaner and he sucks so hard!! I never thought the baby can do so much on the 5th date! Anyway, hard work pay off! My breast is no long in pain and the nurse said he actually gain 2oz after he left the hospital and it is a very good sign!

Now I figure out his routine and he wakes up from 3am till 7am and he will ask for breastfeed for every hour and each time around 20mins, then I know he will sleep well throughout the day, so my husband can help me out and I can catch up my sleep during the day time.

Thanks for your advice but I dont want my son to have any bottle as it may confuse him. I also succeed on full time breastfeeding to my daughter and I only introduce her bottle after 6months and I know I can do it this time.

大宅

發表於 07-6-14 20:27 |顯示全部帖子

xother,

I emailed you back my response la. I don't think they look alike because your son looks so westerner! But I think all babies look similar at one point. :)

Yes you can get Vit. D through sunlight, but it's not good to explose new born under the sun because of UV.

My daughter is doing a little better since the grannys are gone. She wakes up around 8AM these 2 mornings, so she doesn't fuss about going to school, etc.

別墅

發表於 07-6-15 00:43 |顯示全部帖子

xother,
Nicholas looks pretty. I've seen some newborn babies doesn't look as pretty as your boy. I know that you are breast feeding him right now. If you have too much milk, you can pump it out and store it in the freezer. Breast milk can store up to half a year in the freezer, just remember to date it on the bottle. I used to have alot of milk at the beginning also but after about 4 mths it was much less and it was not enough for my BB to eat. If you have a good storage if them, Nicholas could drink breast milk a bit longer and also your husbund could help you feed while you take some rests. My daughter didn't get any confusion on eating both nipples and milk bottles. I've sent you the website w/the pictures we took in Disneyland. Please check them out when you have time. Have fun.

大宅

發表於 07-6-15 04:50 |顯示全部帖子

PoohPoohMaMa,
I just came back from doctor visit and as per my doctor, in BC it is not encourage to have circumcision unless it is necessary. He said the pediatrician who first check the baby at the hospital should decide whether the boy should go or not. The pediatrician didnt say anything, so I assume my son doesnt need it.

Vitamin D, the doctor said it depends on us and I may just do it as it has no harm to my son in any circumstances.

b9lingling,
I send you another link for my family which you can see my daughter and my husband.
Regarding the breastfeeding, I dont want to pump out any milk as the first milk is very nutritious and I want him to drink all. Plus I dont have any breast pump! Anyway, now he behaves like a vacuum cleaner and he drinks so much! I am planning to breastfeed him up to 6months and reduce it to may be twice a day, morning and evening which I did in the past.

Thanks for your complements of my son. I think he is chubby and that makes him look good. As the nurse said, big baby always come with cone-head or weird shape as they squeeze through the birth canal! 8lb 7oz is very big as my daughter is only barely over 6lb! It is huge different when they put the baby on my chest! When doing breastfeeding, it also big different and he sucks so hard! I think he will grow very big in very short time as he already gain weight on his first week of life! My daughter is always small size from the date she born.

首頁

尾頁

跳至